It’s barely halfway into January but I decided to get some additional gears for running for the activities I planned for the year. It’s one of the best times to buy as there are countless discount sales in various stores and malls—a lot of items aren’t really out of season—just to stimulate sales.
Meet the new gears
First thing I got was the mostly needed: a pair of trail shoes. My timing was perfect—I got the pair that I like with the colors I love at 40% discount! I got myself a pair of New Balance 811 (MTK811BK), colored black, and as I earlier stated 40% off the regular retail price.
I’ve been craving for a pair of New Balance for quite some time now and finally I got one. Trail shoes are a new experience for me, and currently I’m putting it on a “break-in” test (so far it’s passing with flying colors on pavement, we’ll see how it fares on real trails on Sunday). Here are some of its features, courtesy www.nbwebexpress.com:
- Abzorb® EX heel provides durable cushioning and shock absorption
- Abzorb® cushioning in the forefoot for exceptional shock absorption
- C-CAP® midsole provides cushioning and support
- AT Tread® all-terrain outsole combines a running and trail lug configuration for on- and off-road use
- N-Durance® rubber compound for maximum outsole durability
- Synthetic/Mesh upper provides lightweight comfort and support
- Stability Shank embedded into midsole supports the arch and helps create a smoother gait
- Shoe Weight: 357 grams (12.6 oz)
The next gear could be considered related to trail running: a light backpack for trails and road runs, a.k.a. runabouts (a term I got from Baldrunner). I got a red Sandugo Pilot 10+5 (10% off the retail price, bladder not included but has a special discounted price when purchased with a bag) as recommended by a trekker friend.
Being “self-sufficient” on runabouts I plan on taking soon after I get my next gear (to be featured later when it arrives) is a feat I’d like to achieve. Getting support on the road could be very difficult so it’s better to be prepared and have the essentials right in your back. Of course nobody wants to run with a very big bag on their back.
It felt like Christmas again after I got these items which are now part of my new set of running gears. I’m still eagerly waiting for one more to complete the set. If you plan on expanding your gears now is a good time to check out the stores while there are still good items on sale. However, after the euphoria is over, you just feel a bit sore, especially around your wallet!