Jul

Top 5 Best Places to Run in Metro Manila

Running is very inexpensive but very addicting but sometimes running on the same area over and over again could be very tiresome.  Do we have to go far to run in some interesting locations?  Runners fear not!  I’ve compiled a list of the best places to run within Metro Manila based on its walk-ability, safety, accessibility, and post run amenities.  Best of all, all these places are free!

Best Places: 5 4 3 2 1

#5: Roxas Boulevard, Manila

Roxas Boulevard is one of the best destinations for setting new personal records (PRs) because it is relatively flat and virtually straight course.  It is one of the most popular race sites in the Metro and even the country’s premier running event, Milo Marathon, is staged here.  This is one the nicest roads to run onto because you have a nice view of the Manila skyline on one side, and the Manila Bay on the other.

Jose Rizal National Monument and the Independence Flagpole are probably the most iconic landmarks of Roxas Blvd.

Just across it lie the kilometer zero marker and the gateway to Quirino Grandstand

Possibly the widest pedestrian crossing in the country can be found here

Plenty of sidewalk spaces

Sunset at Manila Yacht Club

The Cultural Center of the Philippines is another landmark along the boulevard

Pros:

• Great place to set PRs.
  • Excellent view.
  • Ample sidewalks to run onto.
  • There are vendors in the area so hydration should not be a problem.

Cons:

• Could be crowded at times.
  • Relatively little shade.
  • Food and water options could be limited at certain locations.
  • Parking and safety issues.

Best Places: 5 4 3 2 1

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

41 Responses to “Top 5 Best Places to Run in Metro Manila”

1. 2009 July 14 at 6:53 PM

Nice! Very Nice! Suggestive of MORE RUNS in these places! Hmmmmm!

2. 3 carlo
    2009 July 14 at 6:54 PM

dennis, you’re forgetting the skyway 😛

3. 2009 July 14 at 9:48 PM

Nice one! Now that you’ve mentioned it, I want to try the Marikina Riverbanks route. Haven’t been there. 🙂

4. 2009 July 14 at 11:51 PM

Hi Dennis, this is a nice topic! I agree with your top5 list and everything you’ve said about them 🙂

5. 2009 July 15 at 12:06 PM

meron bang top5 sight-seeing routes? 🙂 ehehehe un gusto ko! 🙂

nice entries too 🙂 (ayaw mo lagay ung up-bhs route mo? 🙂 hehehe

• 2009 July 15 at 1:30 PM

Meron! Coming Soon! I’m trying to come up with at least one more list as a guide, watch out for it. (UP-BHS route may be included in the next list) 🙂

6. 9 rod
    2009 July 15 at 6:41 PM

sa riverbanks na lang ako hindi nakakatakbo. hmnnnn….

7. 11 Raffy
    2009 July 17 at 4:13 AM

I’ll be sa pinas sa Oct 15 ,do you know any group who runs early morning regularly (5am-7am) .

8. 2010 April 08 at 2:46 PM

very informative rp! i just tried roxas blvd. thanks for this post! next stop upd

9. 2010 September 07 at 5:21 PM

Hi there,
    my wife and I are in Quezon City for a year and are both runners, so when I googled “best places to run metro manila” your post came up. So far we’ve been to Mall of Asia and UP (campus and dirt track), but since we only have public transportation to work with places like Taguig are harder to get to. Coming from Commonwealth Ave in QC (near Sandiganbayan) do you think it’s possible to get to the Marikina riverbank location? I’m never sure if I can trust Google maps here either so I’m having a hard time figuring it out.

p.s. we just did a Salamon Sunday down in Batangas and met a bunch of the Pinoy Skyrunners–great people! (Perhaps you know some of them?)

• 2010 September 07 at 5:51 PM

Hi Davis,
      We’re practically neighbors as I also live around 1K radius of Sandiganbayan.

There are several ways to get to the riverbanks and sadly from our location via public transport is a bit of a hassle. The best way I could suggest is to take a bus or jeepney ride to Cubao, ride the LRT-2, and alight in Santolan Station.

Yes I do know a few from the Skyrunners group. 😀

10. 2011 June 23 at 11:38 AM

thanks for including the Marikina riverbanks, it is one of our hidden gems here…

11. 20 ms_k_dee
    2011 October 04 at 4:38 PM

For those living in the South, Filinvest City in Alabang is the best route in the South!! Lush greenery with uphill and downhill paths and curves, away from traffic and concrete buildings. Quite a number of regular runners go there every day of the week. (me on weekends 🙂 ) Bikers frequent the place too because there’s a trail route. Palms Country Club hosted a Trail Run there this year, which was interesting (but NB’s Father’s Day Trail Run in Nuvali is still the best!!). This was also the route for Run4Life 2010 & 2011, and is the route for the upcoming Rain4Africa run.

• 21 ian roxas
      2016 January 23 at 8:09 PM

Hallo! Can you share which part of Filinvest City is the safest to walk/jog in the morning? 🙂 Do you happen to remember the street names? Thank you in advance 😀

12. 22 sonny sioson
    2011 December 03 at 1:19 AM

I used to jog at the Quezon Memorial Circle. Its a good place to jog during the day and even more at night when the weather is cooler. There are many jogging paths inside the park but I prefered to just jog around Quezon’s main memorial itself. I usually took evening jogs as I found the experience more serene. The park is lighted especially around the main memorial. After jogging you can get some fresh buko juice from any of the couple of stores selling buko and buko juice along the eateries row. Parking is also not a problem. Cars can enter and park inside for a minimal fee. Use the entrance facing Commonwealth Ave. to get to the main memorial quickly. All in all, jogging at Quezon Memorial Circle is very nice.

13. 2012 January 26 at 3:13 PM

Ive run everywhere you’ve mentioned but at the Marikina River bank because its just too out of the way. I agree with you on all accounts. But, i also like to take into account how roads are paved. I enjoy tar roads… (better for these knees of mine). Most of the places you’ve mentioned are unfortunately inconsistent with tarred pavement… CCP has a lot of this kind of road. UP too…

14. 24 miguel
    2012 June 26 at 3:04 PM

newbie here… is marikina riverbanks suitable for a night time run?

15. 26 Olli
    2012 June 27 at 7:57 AM

Hi. Do you know any places where I could run at night? This is the only free time I have since my job ends at 12AM (midinight). Quezon City Memorial Circle closes at 11PM.

• 2012 June 27 at 3:25 PM

For night runs I can recommend Bonifacio Global City due to good lighting, ample sidewalks, and numerous 24hr convenience stores located all over. You may also try Ayala Triangle if you’re not running beyond 10PM.

16. 28 Juan Takbuhin
    2012 June 27 at 11:12 PM

For me Camp Aguinaldo is the best place to run. Air is fresh due to dense foliage makes you forget you are in the city. It is also the safest not just due to security but also because cars give way to runners on the road. Parking is not a problem. For hydration you just have to bring your pack. The place is immaculately clean, streets are well-paved and passing by the golf courses are a view to behold. Running at night could be memorable. This could be the only place in Metro Manila where fireflies still exist and they do dance in the dark roadsides. It may be a military camp but you will feel that sense of freedom when you sweat out your run.

• 29 Karen
      2014 March 10 at 12:31 PM

Hi sir. Do you regularly run inside Camp Aguinaldo? Malapit lang po kasi ako doon and I’m planning to go there for a jog at weekends kaso I’m a bit reluctant kasi baka masita or whatever. Kelangan ba ng proper attire (what attire specifically) and kung open ba sya in public (generally) for jogging/biking? Thanks 🙂

• 30 joy
        2014 May 24 at 3:15 PM

hello! do you know if permanent nang closed for civilians ang pag-jogging sa camp aguinaldo? I’ve been running there for a year and kahapon bad news came kasi di na nagpapapasok ng civilian joggers yung bantay sa entrance.. can anyone confirm if permanent na yun or just for the mean time?

Maganda kasi talaga tumakbo sa loob ng camp. safe and sound.

17. 2013 November 21 at 1:24 PM

Thanks for the list. Another nice place is Manila Memorial Park in Paranaque City. Lots of joggers there also. Quiet place and only gets crowded on special occasions like Halloween or other special events(like burial of public figure). It is also near elorde sports complex

18. 33 benjie benjie
    2014 September 21 at 7:45 PM

Hindi naman masama tumakbo sa up or sa circle ng 3 30 am no? Safe ba ng ganung time? Yun lang kasi available time ko before going to work e

19. 35 Eina
    2015 April 12 at 7:23 PM

Hi! I’ll be staying in recto ave.,sampaloc,manila starting this month of may. Can you recommend an area where I can run nearby? I’m not familiar with the place kasi. I usually run in the morning or afternoon. I registered with RU2 to be held this June, so I would really appreciate your suggestions. Thank you! 🙂

20. 37 coldfeet
    2015 July 24 at 12:50 AM

hi! this article is really helpful thank u so much..anyone knows where I can find running buddies? i’m planning to experience the marikina riverbank wonder..it would be great to go with a group..safer and mas fun 😀

21. 38 Mary Grace Ragsag
    2015 November 28 at 5:20 PM

Quezon City Memorial Circle is one of the best jogging area in Metro Manila. It also offers variety of foods and Buko juice when you feel you need to quench your thirst. There are exercise equipments installed the park so you can use it anytime you want. Parking is very ok. The park is crowded mostly at Saturday and Sunday, but the jogging lane is still clear for those runners who wants to use it. The park is also clean, and there is music provided so that you feel alive when you do your activity.

✍  I’d love to hear from you!  Share your feedback:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s